minute workers

Chitika

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Senawang Ghosts

Our convoy was making its way down from Malaysia back to Singapore. I looked at my watch, it was 4:30pm. I was in my brother's car with my mother and he was driving.

Suddenly, unexpectingly, smoke came oozing out of the corners of the car's bonnet - the car’s engine was heating up. We had to pull over to the road shoulder.
Our friends in the other cars proceeded on. They couldn't afford to be delayed, for their children had to go to school early the next morning.

There we were, the three of us stranded somewhere in Senawang.
While waiting for the car to cool down, some of the locals, looking to make a quick buck, came by and offered help. Of course, there was nothing they could do, for ours was a continental car - only our mechanic in Singapore would know what to do. I called him on my mobile phone and relayed to him our predicament. He said, regretfully, he could only come there not earlier than 1am.

If it wasn't for our old and sick mother, we would have walked some two kilometers to the guest house we saw earlier. Hence, we remained where we were. The day was slowly dusking and we were cold, tired, hungry and I was bursting to go to the toilet. At that time, the locals have returned home and there were hardly cars driving by. We were very alone.
My brother, feeling restless, decided to go out of the car for a smoke. He sat on the railing by the road. Behind him, was a drain, and further back, were trees and thick shrub.

Feeling chilly and carrying a full bladder, I had to relieve myself urgently. My brother discouraged me from going into the bushes so I opened the car doors and squatted between them while my brother kept vigil.

In the midst of relieving myself, I saw at the distant trees - on a perch, engulfed by the increasing darkness - were three human figures. I stared harder and saw that they were girls - pretty young girls. “What were they? Why were they there in an odd, bird like, posture” I thought.

Then, one of the girls climbed down from the perch and walked towards my brother from behind him. She floated over the drain behind him, went close to his ear and said something. My brother, startled, jumped off the railing and ran towards the car. I jumped too!

The girls pointed at me and squealed a laughter so chilling that drove me near insanity.

I don’t know what came over me? I became hysterical and started laughing uncontrollably – that made the girls really mad and one of them sneered at me.
My brother pushed me into the car, slammed the doors shut, locked them and wound up the windows. My mother was awoken from her blissful nap. "What's going on?" She asked but we didn't answer.

We looked around frantically but didn't see them. For a while we waited and scrutanised the area around us - they seemed to have vanished. We were relieved.

Just then, I turned around and there she was! Right outside my window! Staring with wide elongated eyes. She was no more pretty. In fact, she was ugly as hell! She looked very angry and malevolent.

I was scared. If I hadn’t relieved myself just now, I would surely had wet myself right then. I yelled uncontrollably and my brother took out the Quran and started reading some verses. My mother looked at us like we had gone insane. She asked and asked, "What's wrong? What's happened?" But we couldn't tell her - not in state of health she was in. She wasn't stupid, she soon figured it out and joined in the prayers.

My brother was reading the Quaran frantically and I was looking around desperately. They disappeared! Everything became quiet. Unfortunately, not for long.

I heard knocking on the window. I asked my mother if she was doing it? She denied. My brother claimed that it was her, the puntianak. At this point, even my mom - who can't see spirits or ghosts - sensed something ominous.

Then, I saw two of the girls moving about outside. They moved very stealthily and quick. One moment, they were here, then the next, they were gone, and then the next, they were somewhere else. It was eerie.

At this time, we were missing the third puntianak, the one who had a personal grudge against me, the one who sneered at me earlier for laughing. I looked at my brother, he was reading the Quran verses without stopping. I knew he was frightened, very frightened.

The sun had already set almost half an hour and all seemed calm. We didn't see any of the puntianak since then and my brother had stopped reading the Quran.

Then, to our relieve, we saw bright lights coming towards our car from behind – it was a tow truck. My Singapore mechanic was worried about us and called a towing company in Senawang to tow our car to Malacca where we would stay the night and be picked up the next day.

My watch showed 7 o'clock exactly.

My mom and I sat in our car while by brother sat in the tow truck with the driver. I was seated at the driver’s seat and my mother, at the back. We thought all was well until I heard someone breathing at my ear. I turned. To my horror, it was her!

Instead of being afraid, I realised I was angry and I wanted to scream at her but somehow my voice just wouldn't come out! Then, with her bloodshot eyes she stared at me and yelled. "Why did you laugh at me? Do you think we are funny? WHYYYYYYYYY?" She screamed so loud in my ear that I felt my head was going to explode!

I recall, she was pretty on one side of her face but on the other, she was bleeding profusely – her face had been smashed flat and she was in a horrendous state. The sight made my stomach churn violently, pushing acid up my gullet. I let out a horrible scream and burst out crying! I may have puked. I pleaded with her to leave me alone and I apologised teemingly.

My mother heard me screaming and was jolted out of her stupor. She called my name many times before I opened my eyes to find the puntianak gone and we had already moved quite a distance from that spot.

Later on, in Malacca we related to each other the things that had happened and my brother said that whilst in the tow truck, the driver said to him that the place where we were stranded was a very haunted area. There had been many accidents there – one after another. Our car, breaking down suddenly, could also have been the doing of the angry spirits stranded there.
The girls are just few of the spirits trapped on this earth. They had died in car accidents and could cross over until their actual predetermined lifetime had been served. I feel sad for them all.

My brother and I are gifted with a unique sixth sense – we are able to see spirits. I realised my special talent when I was at the tender age of 11 – I used to see an old woman at a nearby playground in my neighborhood. She would always sit at the bench and not talk or look at anyone. I became curious and asked my friends about her. Obviously, my friends were puzzled. That’s when I realised that I was special. I could see – spirits.
Sheera,

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment